For decades high-wall heat pumps have dominated the market in New Zealand. But as manufacturers continue to innovate, there are now more options to choose from.
The two most popular options are installing on an internal wall, near the ceiling (high wall), or in some spare space on the floor (floor console).
Which one is best for your home? Let’s have a look.
High Wall (Hi-Wall):
High wall heat pumps have dominated in recent decades as they can be cheaper to purchase, easy to install and do not clutter your floor space.
Benefits of a High Wall Heat Pump:
- High wall heat pumps are capable of heating and cooling greater extremes in temperature
- Can provide cooling more efficiently than floor mounted systems
- Are sometimes more cost effective for heating
- They provide excellent levels of performance
- Are very quiet
Considerations for installing a High Wall Heat Pump:
- Do you have enough space on your walls for a heat pump? Some houses have floor to ceiling windows which can make if difficult to install a high wall unit.
- Will a high wall unit ruin the aesthetics of your room? Some people prefer not to see the unit if it can be avoided.
- Will it be easy to install on the wall in question? Is there a convenient and stable space for the outside unit? Is there room for the installer to move around easily inside?
Are floor mounted heat pumps better than high wall installations?
Floor console heat pumps can be more expensive than high wall heat pumps, but they offer an excellent alternative to a high wall unit, when wall space is limited or undesirable. As they are mounted low on the wall they are very good at dispersing the heat they generate through the room at a level you will feel.
Benefits of choosing a floor console Heat Pump:
- Floor consoles are used in homes that cannot work with a high wall, such as homes with tall windows.
- They can be installed almost anywhere because cables and pipes can be run under the floor
- Access to clean the filter is much easier, which can be helpful for the elderly or disabled
- They are an excellent replacement for open fireplaces, log burners, or fixed gas heaters
- Quiet yet powerful and highly efficient
Considerations for installing a Floor Console:
- Will it be too close to furniture to the extent that airflow will be restricted?
- As with high wall mounting, is there good accessibility inside and out?
- Do you have sufficient floor space where it will not be in the way?
- Does it look like it belongs or is it an eyesore?
- Will it present a hazard for children or pets?
Which is best for you?
Quite possibly you have already developed a preference for your situation. However, sometimes there are factors that need to be considered, but which are not immediately obvious.
Make sure you get professional advice before having a heat pump installed.
Call us today on 03 477 0088 or simply request an appointment for us to come and recommend the best heat pump for your specific room.
Whatever system you require, our experienced technicians are experts at installation. Whether you require standalone heating, a combination heating and cooling system, ducted heating or something else, contact our team.
We are an accredited Fujitsu installer, so all our Fujitsu Heat Pumps come with an automatic six-year warranty. On top of this we offer the unique option of choosing an enormous 8 year warranty on your heat pump. We think this shows just how much we believe in Fujitsu Heat Pumps and our expert installation process. It’s one you can trust.